Today I’m introducing a new category: Work in Progress. I’ve mentioned before that my yarn basket is home to many unfinished Things. Hopefully by throwing them in the public light I’ll be motivated to finish them. I may or may not publish progress reports.
I’ve been thinking about starting Work-in-Progress Wednesdays for awhile now, but was finally driven to it by today’s lack of a Thing. I had grand plans to whip up some more orange crowns for Saturday, because frankly, once Koningsdag is passed, I will have little use for bright orange acrylic until next year. However, I couldn’t for the life of me find my 5mm crochet hook. It is NOWHERE. And the bright orange acrylic is still gracing my coffee table in non-crown form.
So I needed something to post about. And quick. It’s beading night tonight.
Last year, when I was in my Japanese crochet pattern phase, I found a pretty shawl pattern. I tested a square with some blue wool, blocked it, and liked the result.
In January of this year I picked up some super fine merino wool in black to get started on a full shawl. So far I’ve made nine squares. The pattern calls for 39, though as the wool I chose is much finer than the pattern suggestion I’ll probably need to make 60 to achieve the same size.
I make one square every Saturday morning in the cafe at the pool while Esther has swimming lessons. I also try to bring it along to Martina’s violin lessons. If I can make two per week, I may finish this by winter. That’s a big if, though. I’ll keep you posted. Or not.
Cost of this project so far: €4.95 for one ball of wool. (I’ll get 10 or 11 from each ball, so this won’t be a cheap Thing by the time it’s done.)