Time to get cracking. I have 37 days to make and post about 88 Things. I’d rather not resort to tissue pouches, either.
On the bright side, with the weather turning crisp and cold, my crafty urges have been reignited. This week I’ve made a shirt, a costume, and a hat, with another hat in progress.
Today’s Thing is the shirt. Esther is in dire need of some longer, warmer shirts. She’s outgrown most of last winter’s clothes and it’s too cold for t-shirts now. Yesterday was a studiedag so Esther was home all day. We puttered about in my sewing room and I assembled some fabrics.
Back in July I made a couple of t-shirts for Esther. One was a wild animal print and the other featured cats. I had enough of the wild animal knit for the front of a shirt, and enough of the cats for the back. But what to do about sleeves? Then I found an old blue shirt of mine that was still in good shape but I just don’t like. We had our sleeves.
I pulled out my trusty Renfrew pattern and cut out the front and back pieces and the cuff for the bottom. Next I chopped the sleeves off my old shirt. I laid the sleeve pattern piece against the sleeves and shaped the top of the sleeves to the pattern so they would fit properly.
It came together great for such a patchwork affair. Despite some difficulties in getting the neck band to lay flat, I was done in a little over an hour.
This has me inspired to see what other clothes I can repurpose. I have so many bits and bobs of fabric. Maybe I can cobble together a wardrobe with them.
Dolly Parton’s Coat of Many Colours comes to mind…
My coat of many colors
That my momma made for me
Made only from rags
But I wore it so proudly
Although we had no money
I was rich as I could be
In my coat of many colors
My momma made for me
Poor Esther. In the next verse all the other kids make fun of Dolly.
Maybe I better buy some more fabric.
Cost of this Thing: 0
Cost of all Things to date: €295.04