Thing 183

It’s been an epic journey but I have arrived and the Belcarra blouse is complete.

Last night I hacked up the pattern again, raising the darts a bit and decreasing the FBA to one inch (from one and a half). I whipped up a third muslin based on the changes and the fit was almost right. The darts were just a touch too high now. This morning I adjusted the pattern one last time, lowering the dart point by a smidgeon. The front pattern piece is now more scotch tape than paper. See how shiny!




I didn’t bother testing it out and instead used the finalized pattern to cut into my Mitsi fabric from Liberty.

Sewing together the front, back and sleeves was a breeze. It was my fourth time, after all. The neckline took a bit longer. I was sewing with the wrong side facing up but then the front went all ribbly. I picked all the stitches out and sewed again, this time with the front facing up. That worked much better.

The sleeve cuffs were easier than I expected. I thought they had to fold up but that’s View C and I had cut out the pieces for View A. That explains why the fold-up cuffs didn’t work out so hot on my first muslin.

I serged the bottom edge and then hemmed with invisible stitching. Because this fabric is a dream to work with and presses crisp and clean this was my easiest and neatest invisible hem yet. I may take up the length but that’s a job for another day.


First, selfie shot in my sewing room:


photo 1_130


Then Sandor came home and I roped him into taking some shots of me outside:


photo 1_132


The fit is great! This has been a huge learning experience for me, doing an FBA. Thanks, Caroline at Sewaholic for the sew-along and extra tutorials!


photo 3_102


I just spent an hour in an un-airconditioned car so I’m a bit wrinkly.


photo 4_77


We’re going out tonight and I’m going to wear my new blouse, paired with jeans and my favourite Camper heels.

I’ll be making more Belcarras.  It would be a pity to let all those muslins go to waste. I saw some slinky, drapey fabric at the Haagse Markt, and at 3 euros a metre I can squeeze it into my budget.

I also still have enough of the Mitsi fabric left to make a few small Things, which is fortunate given the state of the budget.


Cost of this Thing: €34.37 (27.57 for the fabric, 6.80 for the pattern)
Cost of all Things to date: €235.99


Post navigation

  3 comments for “Thing 183

  1. rochelle
    June 13, 2014 at 4:15 pm

    Gorgeous! You are the European Belcarra Blouse Queen! Great job!

  2. Heather Bylenga
    June 13, 2014 at 8:00 pm


  3. June 14, 2014 at 1:56 am

    so pretty! It looks like an excellent fit.

Comments are closed.